The DFE (Department for Education) state that:
'Schools have the responsibility to create and enforce a clear and rigorous expectation on all schools to promote the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.'
(Department for Education)
The government set out its definition of British values in the 2011 Prevent Strategy, and these values were reiterated by the Government in 2014.
At Taylor Road Primary School, we define British Values in the following way:
- Democracy - We have a say in the rules.
- Individual Liberty - We are free to be who we are.
- The rule of the Law - We follow the same rules to keep everybody safe.
- Mutual Respect - We treat everybody equally.
- Tolerance - We are understanding of others viewpoint, need, religion and culture even if it is different to our own.